Pages

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Double Bluff State Park, Whidbey Island

Where: Useless Bay, Whidbey Island, WA

Price: FREE minus ferry ticket and gas.

Facilities: good - 9 times out of 10 they are very clean.

Park Offers: off-leash dog park, beach front, picnic tables

Wildlife: bald eagles, live sand dollars, crabs, starfish and deer.

Clamming: WDFW has a profile webpage for the park here. I noticed the park profile mentions that clams and oysters are open all year. Harvest information is here. Don't forget any necessary permits. :-)

Tides: the closest water level station to Useless Bay is at Hansville. Go to Salt Water Tides' tide table (link) and select/tick Hansville. At the bottom of page choose a month and date. Select 'Get Tides' and your tide prediction for that day will load, looking something like this:



More commonly referred to as Useless Bay, Double Bluff State Park is my favorite off leash dog park and easy access beach. There's something enchanting about the area. I make it a point to visit the park on a frequent basis. Not only does it have nice facilities including outdoor showers and pay phones (things you don't expect) but the wildlife concentration is astounding.

I know I've said it before, but I'm going to say it again, if you are a photographer Whidbey Island is a magical place. I can't take a bad snapshot there. Double Bluff State Park is especially saturated in color. The best time of year for color and weather is August and September, but don't hold out on account of my opinion. I love Whidbey Island any time of year.

Be sure that Double Bluff State Park makes it to your list of places to go! And then come back and tell me about it. :-)

If anyone has information to share about equestrian access to Useless Bay I'd really love to hear it. I've seen several riders galloping their faithful steeds along the sand bars in bright, glinting sunlight. I want to know where they come from!

Related Articles: Whidbey Island Ferry
blog comments powered by Disqus